The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating at least 1.3 million 2011-2017 Explorers based on reports of exhaust, which contains carbon monoxide, seeping into the passenger cabin.

Nearly 1,300 people have filed complaints with the regulator. Ford acknowledged getting more than 2,000 reports as of August last year. In the letter to customers, Ford insists Explorers “are safe” and its “investigation has not found carbon monoxide levels that exceed what people are exposed to every day.”

What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide poisoning typically occurs from breathing in too much carbon monoxide (CO). Symptoms are often described as “flu-like” and commonly include headachedizziness, weakness, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Large exposures can result in loss of consciousnessarrhythmiasseizures, or death. The classically described “cherry red skin” rarely occurs. Long term complications may include feeling tired, trouble with memory, and movement problems.

CO is a colorless and odorless gas that is always part of exhaust from gasoline and diesel motovehicles. When CO is absorbed into tissues via your lungs, skin, eyes, ears, nose and mouth, it can cause a wide range of adverse effects that may persist for weeks, months or years after your CO exposure stops. As a rule of thumb, the more total CO exposure you’ve had, the longer it may take to excrete all the CO you have accumulated.

What should I do if I own a 2011-2017 Explorer?

If you own a 2011-2017 Ford Explorer and believe you’ve been exposed to carbon monoxide exhaust seeping into the passenger cabin, we’re here to help.  You can call our office at 303-861-8800 or contact us through the form below.