Facebook has acknowledged it has been collecting the call and text history of users who own Android phones for years. When people agreed to let Facebook import their phone contacts so they could use Messenger or Facebook Lite on their Android phones, Facebook began logging their cell phone records including call and text histories. Apple iOS has never allowed access to call log data by third-party apps, overt or silently, so this sort of data acquisition was never possible.
How can I see what information Facebook has tracked about me?
You can download a copy of your Facebook data by doing the following:
- Log onto your Facebook account on a computer
- Go to Settings
- This should automatically bring up “General Account Settings”
- Below your account information (Name, Username, Contact, Ad account contact, Temperature, and Manage Account), there is an option to “Download a copy of your Facebook data”. (Note: It may require you to enter your password again)
- Click “Start My Archive”
- You should receive a confirmation email, saying that you requested a copy of your Facebook data. The email states that you will receive a second email with a link to download the data when it is ready.
- Once the download is ready, you’ll receive a second email with a link to access your download. (Note: you may be required to enter your password again.)
The information included in your download includes a lot of the same information available in your account and activity log, including your Timeline info, posts you’ve shared, messages, and photos. Additionally, it includes information that is not available simply by logging into your account, like the ads you have clicked on, data like the IP addresses that are logged when you log into or out of Facebook, and more.
I am an Android Facebook User, what should I Do?
If you are concerned about the security of your personal information, we are here to help. The Hannon Law Firm is actively investigating the unauthorized collection of data by Facebook and would welcome the opportunity to talk to you about your concerns and experience. Contact us by calling 303-861-8800, or by filling out the contact form below.